Community Connection for Families with Newborns
This is a free program offered to parents of a newborn child in Thompson, Woodstock, or Pomfret, CT. Eligible families include first-time parents and those with children.
Our focus is to provide support to parents and caregivers and to increase the developmental growth of children from birth to age 5. Parents and children are paired with a trained mentor. They meet together for four hours each month until the child’s 5th birthday. Meetings are scheduled in the family’s home as well as locations in the community to develop relationships and connections.
The mentor’s role is to provide:
- Exposure to social environments, community connections and resources, and educational experiences through free field trips
- Promote self-confidence, respect, empathy, and a sense of responsibility
- Emphasize and encourage physical exercise and nutrition
- A positive role model
- Strengthen the parent/child bond
- Reduce parental stress
- Foster healthier parents
- Reduce isolation
- Increase understanding of child development
- Foster child readiness for school
- Access to developmental screenings
- Access to information to manage emotions
- Access to information to manage higher education or employment
Hand in Hand is funded through the Glass Foundation. Participants are required to meet with their assigned mentor once a week for one hour or the equivalent of four hours per month for the duration of enrollment. In exchange, participants will receive free 3 packages of diapers and 3 packages of wipes (each month) and transportation assistance when available.
Openings are still available. If you are interested in learning more about this program or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact our Hand in Hand Coordinator at 860-923-3458.