Community Connection for Families with Newborns
This program is offered to parents of a newborn child in our neighboring towns. Eligible families include first-time parents and those with children from birth to age five.
Call us to discuss how this program will benefit your family.
Our focus is to provide support to parents and caregivers and to increase the developmental growth of children from birth to age 5. Parents and children are paired with a trained mentor. They meet together for four hours each month until the child’s 5th birthday. Meetings are scheduled in the family’s home as well as locations in the community to develop relationships and build connections.
The mentor’s role is to provide:
- Exposure to social environments, community connections and resources, and educational experiences through field trips provided by TEEG
- Promote self-confidence, respect, empathy, and a sense of responsibility
- Emphasize and encourage physical exercise and nutrition
- A positive role model
- Strengthen the parent/child bond using research based practices
- Reduce parental stress
- Foster healthier parents
- Reduce isolation
- Make community connections
- Access to developmental screening
- Increase understanding of child development using research based practices
- Foster child readiness for school
- Support in helping parents/caregivers attain personal and family goals
- YMCA benefits
Participants are required to meet with their assigned mentor once a week for one hour or the equivalent of four hours per month for the duration of enrollment. In exchange, participants will receive 3 packages of diapers and 3 packages of wipes (each month). Transportation assistance is offered to community activities, when available.
If you are interested in learning more about this program or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact our Early Childhood Programs Coordinators at 860-923-3458.